Color Club Coated Collection - Swatches & Review

Sunday 23 July 2017


In my perfect nail world I would have all polishes that were 1-2 coats (with the exception of jellies - they need three coats so you get that really squishy look and the depth).  But cremes really should be 1-2 coats.  When I was on the search for the China Glaze My Little Pony Collection (you can see that post here if you are interested) I stumbled across the Coated Collection by Color Club.  I haven't heard or seen anything about this collection but it said that these polishes are one coaters so naturally I grabbed them so I could test them out.


Before we jump into the swatches I just want to point out a couple of things.  A lot of these shades in this collection are neon shades so that don't photograph 100% accurately.  I have done the best that I can.  Also if you see these bottles in person then don't pay too much attention to the colour of the bottle.  They don't necessarily represent the colour of the polish inside accurately.

Age Of Aquarius is an aqua creme.  The formula of this one is good and easy to use.  Is it a one coater?  No, but it is very close.  My swatch shows two coats.


Bright Nights is an electric blue creme.  The formula again is really good but this one does get white streaks through it like the colour isn't mixed through properly.  I tried to mix it but it made no difference.  I used two coats for my swatch.


Diggin' The Dancing Queen is a purple pastel neon creme.  Now I was so excited to see that this polish was part of the collection.  I LOVED the colour when it was released as part of the Pastel Neons Collection but wasn't a fan of the formula at all.  The formula of this one is fantastic (especially if you compare it to the original formula).  It does get the white streaks through it.  Is it a one coater?  No, but I am happy for it to be a two coater.


Disco Dress is a blue toned purple creme.  If you have short nails you could leave this as a one coater, but for longer nails you do get a visible nail line.  I used two coats for my swatch.


East Austin is a neon coral creme.  East Austin is easily one of my all time favourite Color Club polishes ever.  This one does apply uneven, so you definitely can't leave it at one coat.  I used two coats for my swatch.


French Tips is a white creme.  This one is close to being a white coater, but again it does apply slightly unevenly and is see through at the tips.  I used two coats for my swatch.


Jackie Oh! is a neon pink creme.  This one looks very differently on the nail then what it does on the bottle.  When you apply it, it is also a different shade to when it is dry.  The formula is easy to work with but it does apply unevenly.  My swatch shows two coats.


Modern Pink is a neon pink creme.  I love the colour of this one so much!  The formula sits somewhere in between a one and two coater.  When my daughter wore it (she has really tiny nails) we did one coat on her, but for me I had to use two coats as it was slightly uneven.  


Psychedelic Scene is a neon orange creme.  Is this one a one coater?  Absolutely not.  This one applies really unevenly.  I needed three coats to even it out.


Take Me To Your Chateau is a sky blue creme.  This one is super close to being a one coater.  It does apply a little unevenly so I used two coats for my swatch.


We Liming is a lime green neon creme.  This is definitely not a one coater or even close to being a one coater.  It applies unevenly and needed three coats to even out.


Yellin' Yellow is a neon yellow creme.  There is no way that this could be a one coater.  It think that it may apply more unevenly than any of the others in this collection.  The formula is quite thick on this one.  I do love how bright this one is through.  I used three coats for my swatch.


Call me fussy, but when you say a polish is a one coater I expect the polish to apply evenly and not have any sign of a visible nail line or be see through at the tips.  Do these polishes meet those standards?  No.  There are a few in this collection that at a pinch (or if you have really short nails) you can get away with wearing only one coat, but then there are others that apply so unevenly that there is no way you could leave it as one coat.

While I don't agree that these polishes are one coaters, I do really like the colours that are in this collection.  Colour wise there isn't a polish that I don't like so that's a huge win.  Now I have had quite a few people ask me if these can stamp.  I will be doing swatches of how each of these polishes look over both black and white so you will need to come back tomorrow to find out how they perform.

What do you think of this collection?

4 comments:

  1. I own the original for about half of these polishes, and I would consider re-purchasing some except for the price. Where I buy my Color Clubs, these are over twice as expensive as a regular bottle. Boo-urns.


    The original 'Bright Nights' has a terrible problem with pigment separation, to the point I store it upside down in my 'blue' drawer. My 'Take Me to Your Chateau' is a fairly solid two-coater now it's a few years old. Maybe they just re-bottled some old bottles now the formula's thickened up. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting. I wonder if you are correct and they have just repackaged the old ones.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful colors. I wish they weren't so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful colours. I don't find them to be too expensive but then again, we pay $20 for OPI here in Australia (I buy my Color Clubs from the US)

      Delete