Powder Perfect Halloween 2016 Duo - Swatches & Review

Wednesday 28 September 2016


While Halloween isn't such a big deal here in Australia, I am a sucker for all Halloween nail related things.  No idea why.  I normally lean towards more girly things like pinks and purples, flowers and butterflies, etc but Halloween time is when some really unusual polishes come out that grab my attention.  Powder Perfect's Halloween Duo has certainly done that this year.   The duo is inspired by the three witch's poem from William Shakespeare's Macbeth and features complex finishes in unusual shades that perfectly capture the spirit of Halloween.  Warning: this post is a little picture heavy.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
-William Shakespeare, Macbeth.  


Cauldron Bubble is described as a darkened multichrome lacquer that shifts from purple to green and feature copper-fuchsia-green ultra chameleon chrome flakies.  I'm not sure about the base colour shifting from purple to green.  To me it looks like a darkened purple base with green shimmer and the ultra chrome flakies.  However, you want to describe it this polish is awesome!  I particularly like it matte.  The formula is good, although it does apply unevenly on the first coat.  I used two coats for my swatch.

Picture taken outdoors in overcast sunlight

Picture taken outdoors in overcast lighting

Picture taken in light box with flash

Picture taken in light box

And the mattified version.

Picture taken in light box

Picture taken outdoors in overcast lighting
Toil & Trouble is a murky olive green with contrasting pink iridescent flakies and gold holographic glitters.  Unfortunately by the time I got to swatch this all forms of "sun" had completely gone.  In fact, I had trouble finding a picture that didn't have rain drops on it.  Oh the joys of trying to swatch things.  Anway, the formula of this one is great.  It applies evenly and is opaque in two coats.  The pink flakies are a little tricky to see in pictures.  They are more obvious (but not in an over the top, in your face kind of way) in person. 

Picture taken outdoors in overcast lighting

Picture taken in overcast lighting

Picture taken in light box
And the mattified version.  Personally I prefer this one mattified.  I just can't stop looking at my nails.

Picture taken in light box

Picture taken in overcast lighting
This is a seriously awesome Halloween duo!  I particularly love the mattified versions of both polishes.

The Halloween Duo is available from Powder Perfect's Australian Store on Friday 30th September at 10am AEST and from their international site on Thursday 29th September 8pm EDT. 

1 comment: